Welcome klustar, a simple web application for managing/ organising your twitter favorites.
Just over four years ago, Joel (Joel Hughes) and I found ourselves discussing and planning the building of a web application for managing your Twitter favorites. Over the course of a couple of months, we laid some good foundations for the application and even come up with and bought the domain name. One thing lead to another and the project lost momentum. Nothing was ever really said on the subject again and we both moved on to other more important matters. Overtime, we watched a couple of other developer’s apps come and go in this space and it always brought back the idea of Klustar. However, nothing materialised.
A month ago I decided to change that, and over the course of a weekend I hacked together the very basic backend code to create the application. My love for the project was reignited. From that weekend onwards I made a promise to myself that I would continue with it and get it released to the world.
While it’s not fully released, last night and this morning I sent an email campaign inviting all those that had put their name down to have access and beta test the application. So far so good—feedback has been great and I am cracking on with features that I have mapped out and are coming in the near future.
Add your email to the list to be invited to the next round of beta testing, to also be notified of public release, or follow the Twitter account for information @klustarapp
A Couple months ago I wrote about using Twitter cards on Hillvall.eu, and today I have updated HillValleu to now work with Google Plus, and Facebook. Similar to Twitter Cards, I updated the code to handle the bots coming from Google+ and Facebook. This allowing for better sharing panels and content on other networks.
A week ago, I had an email about a domain name due to expire, which got me thinking, then two days ago I wrote a blog post about open sourcing more of my web apps that I have built and are sat lying on my computer.
Today, I open sourced my first web app: Gigaw.at.
Gigawat was a web app that I had built nearly two years ago, and I was running it for a good time on it’s own VPS with separate database server, and them over time it sort of dwindled out, and was not very active, and it was costing me each month with very little reward (personally), so I closed it down and decided to save my money and put into other projects. As per my blog post the other day, I want to bring some of my web apps back to life, and have a history of the code I’ve written.
I decided that gigaw.at would be my first web app to be open sourced as I knew it was in a pretty good state and was able to run with very little work… I did say little work, which turned out to be wrong as I decided to adjust a couple of things, I also removed a couple of features. This meant that I could spend more time working out how to use heroku and get it all up and running. Which was very simple, just a few kinks to work out, which was mainly the config settings to ensure I did not commit any sensitive information.
So, gigaw.at is on my github, under a GPL3 license, and it’s now back up and running over at heroku, and using compose as my mongoDB provider. Feel free to grab the code, and play around (note it’s made using OpenBD, and I need to write up a readme for information on how to get running)
Welcome, hillvall.eu – A simple RSS reader, nothing more, nothing less.
Back in April, when Google announced they where shutting down Goole Reader, I wrote a blog post on my thoughts and how it would affect me as I was a big user of Google Reader. Being a developer I am in a position to be able to create my own solution, and that is exactly what I have been doing. I did have a working version I was using before Google shut down their service, and I mentioned this to a few people, and they showed interest.
At the beginning I was writing the system for myself, the first version I had and had started to use was very limited, no user accounts, feed management or folders. Scroll forward a few months and after the interest I decided I would rewrite the app to work with multiple users with the intention of getting it online so others can use. I’ve never set a deadline for when I wanted to get an early alpha/beta out, and the past few weeks I’ve been working very hard on it to try and get it to a alpha release. For a few weeks I felt it going a bit stale and I starting to question all the time and effort I had been putting in, but I’ve got over that stage and progress is moving along very well, and I am hoping within the week I’ll have actual users apart from myself within the app.
So, if you are interested in getting on the list for early access then head over to hillvall.eu and pop your email in the form. If you would like to keep up to date on news, and details of hillvall.eu, hen I have set up a blog for the app at blog.hillvall.eu
The past few days on Twitter I have seen a lot of tweets regarding static site generators, and engines. These are cool as they are quite basic, no need for database integration, meaning you can run on a very simple host.
A lot of what I came across were PHP, Ruby, Node.js or another web based language based and without a great deal of looking around I could not see anything for the ColdFusion market. With me working in ColdFusion on a daily basis I thought I would create something for the ColdFusion market.
So I would like to welcome Almanac a simple blog engine that works with static MarkDown (.md) files and is written in ColdFusion (CFML). I wrote it using the CFML Engine OpenBD.
A reason I decided to write it was I have a love for the Markdown Syntax, and I wanted something to kickstart my blog again, so as the old saying goes, two birds one stone…